With 200 million smartphones walking around the U.S. and an endless supply of experts appearing on daytime television every afternoon, health tips are everywhere. But it’s hard to cut through the clutter. So, we’re doing it for you on skin care - because that’s just what we do.
Legendary, wise, and fictional coach Bobby Finstock, was able to dispensed timeless life lessons in 1985, with only 3 rules:
- Never get less than twelve hours sleep
- Never play cards with a guy who’s got the same first name as a city
- And never go near a lady who’s got a tattoo of a dagger on her body
With the epidermis (“skin”) it is a bit more involved at 8 rules, yet no less profound:
- Sun Protection is a must. In real estate, it is location, location, location. In dermatology it is sun protection. Nothing does more harm to your skin (sun spots, skin cancer, wrinkles, etc…) than sun exposure. According to doctors over at the American Academy of Dermatology, you should use at least an SPF 30 sunscreen everyday, wear protection, and avoid the sun at its peak.
- Don’t smoke. This is a no brainer for many health reasons, but when it comes to your skin, smoking will have you looking like an old catcher’s mitt in no time.
- Gently clean your skin. Your skin is varied, just like the muscles in your body based on need. The skin on the bottom of your feet (thickest skin), feels a lot different than your eyelids (thinnest skin). As every man knows, you want the right tools for the job. For your face, washing with body wash or a bar of soap tends to cause dryness and cracking. Body soap has a higher pH level than face wash which will dry out the more delicate skin on your face.
Shave correctly. If you’re still a shaver, which nearly 50% of US men are, there are better ways to do it, so your face doesn’t look like Freddy Krueger when you’re finished. With literally thousands of articles published about the right way to shave, we’ll just touch on the basics here:
- Water is good, keep things wet
- Don’t skimp on a good shave cream that provides a smooth glide for your razor
- Always use a sharp blade
- Shave with the grain
- Hydrate. Your skin is 15% of your body weight, and the majority is from water that keeps all those cells full and your skin smooth. Dehydration will cause dry cracking skin, and over time wrinkles will appear.
- Eat Healthy. For many reason a good diet is the foundation for health. When you don’t eat well, many issues pop up like obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc. but consider that your skin is your largest organ and an unhealthy diet can actually show up on your skin in the forms of acne, blemishes, redness, hives,etc.
- Manage stress. For the same reasons as eating healthy, your skin can’t hide health issues from the world, because it is fighting them just like your liver or immune system. Being stressed often shows up as acne and oily skin.
- Be consistent. Just like overall health takes time and daily practice, having healthy skin and looking good does too. Taking a shower once a week and washing your face when a new Marvel comes out, isn’t enough. It takes 28 days for your skin to fully renew itself, that is the minimum amount of time you would need to see full results of a healthy skin routine.
Best practices are what Modrn Man was founded on, no more, no less. We engineered our products to cut through the clutter and provide everything a man needs for healthy skin. 2 steps are all any guy needs to look his best.